We had one of our employees steal data from the company and gave it to one of our competitors...”
Typical Internal and External Cyber Crime Investigation Scenarios:-
- An Employee:
- emails or copy confidential information sending it to your competitors;
- deletes confidential information;
- sells your stock on the side "moonlighting";
- visits websites forbidden by company policy;
- manipulates records;
- misuses company assets by storing movies, pornography etc. on the servers/computers and deletes the evidence ...
- hack confidential user accounts etc.
- You Purchase A Going Concern:
- only to find that vital financial and other crucial data and programs have been deleted;
- suspecting that the financial figures provided do not reflect the actual status of the company.
- all negative publicity/correspondence etc. have been deleted ...
- A perpetrator:
- uses your company identity for nefarious purposes.
- gains access to your systems:
- by performing an SQL, brute force, DOS or other forms of attack;
- using identity theft, phishing, spoofing or by other means.
What Is A Data Forensic Analysis / Investigation?
- Typically the process determining, extracting (recovering) and reporting from an electronic data device:-
- What files and other data (i.e. documents, emails, databases etc.) that were deleted and when.
- When last was the computer and files accessed.
- Where, when and from whom were emails sent and received.
- What emails were deleted and when?
- What programs that were deleted or uninstalled and when.
- What websites were visited and when?
- Files and other data protected by a password, encryption, compression or other methods.
Tags: Digital Forensics Computer Forensics Data Forensics Electronic Forensics Digital Search And Seizure Digital Evidence Digital Forensic Investigation Data Message Forensics Electronic Evidence Forensic Duplicates